From Betty Martini
Open Letter to Janet Reno, Justice Department 4-4-00
- Dear Mrs. Reno:
- I'm writing to advise you of serious corporate and bureaucratic crimes.
Title 18, Section 1001, Criminal Code declares: Whoever, in any matter
within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative or judicial branch of
the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully -
- * (1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device
a material fact;
* (2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or
* (3) or makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to
contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned ...
- FDA wanted Searle indicted for fraud, but U.S. Prosecutors Skinner and
Conlon switched sides and the statute of limitations expired. Finally, Dr.
Arthur Hull Hayes, FDA Commissioner, overruled the Board of Inquiry and
approved aspartame and hired with NutraSweet's PR. He has refused to speak
to the press ever since.
- Section 402 of the FDC Act 21 provides a food is adulterated if it
contains, in whole or in part "...a decomposed substance or if it is
otherwise unfit for food". The National Soft Drink Association in their
protest against aspartame approval in l983 recorded this, as found in the
Congressional Record of May 7, 1985, Page S 5509, Senate.
- NSDA knew aspartame decomposes in soft drinks. They objected: "Searle
has not demonstrated to a reasonable certainty that aspartame and its
degradation products are safe for use in soft drinks. ... Aspartame is
inherently markedly and uniquely unstable in aqueous media. In a liquid,
such as a soft drink aspartame will degrade as a function of temperature and
- Inferior test methods were used by Searle as NSDA explained: "High
pressure liquid chromotography is a far superior analytical method relative
to thin layer chromatography and numerous HPLC methods exist for the
detection and quantification of amino acids. Searle's choice of TLC over
HPLC adversely affected the quality and type of analytical data generated on
aspartame and its decomposition products in soft drinks." S5507 .... " an
important decomposition product of APM, aspartic acid cannot be detected at
all using TLC." S 5508
- "The inability to account for as much as thirty-nine percent of
aspartame's decomposition products is significant." "The marked and rapid
decomposition of aspartame in soft drinks under temperatures known to
prevail is apparent from data in the present record and discussed above in
these objections." S 5509 (So APM could not be legally added to carbonated
beverages under Section 402 because it decomposes and NSDA admitted that
- CRIME BY NSDA MEMBERS: COKE, PEPSI ET AL
- The FDA broke the law by approving aspartame for carbonated beverages.
NSDA has full knowledge they are violating this law by adding aspartame to
soft drinks. After protesting it was illegal they flipped and lobbied
- Senior FDA toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross, tried to prevent approval and
testified in Congress aspartame violated the then existing Delaney amendment
forbidding any carcinogen in food products and named brain tumors. he said;
"And if the FDA itself elects to violate the law, who is left to protect the
public?" Congressional Record SID85:131 (8/1/85)
- A study by Trocho, Pardo, et al demonstrated significant amounts of
formaldehyde accumulate in the tissues. Formaldehyde binds strongly to
proteins and nucleic acids, forming adducts extremely difficult to eliminate
through normal metabolic pathways. Formaldehyde accumulated in high
concentrations in the liver and in substantial concentrations in the kidney,
adipose tissue, brain and retina. Aspartame is do-it-yourself embalming!
(Formaldehyde derived from dietary aspartame binds to tissue components in
vivo. Life Sciences 63: 337-349, 1998.)
- CRIME BY CDC
- In l984 they investigated consumer aspartame complaints including
aggression, disorientation, hyperactivity, liver impairment, panic attacks,
seizures, suicidal tendencies, severe mood swings, memory loss, numbness,
cardiac arrest, loss of depth perception and DEATH. Then Fred Trowbridge
wrote a criminal executive summary contradicting the data and directly
violating Title 18, Section 1001. His summary claimed these findings were
mild. Mild cardiac arrest; Mild Death! Now CDC responds to citizen inquiries
with only this fraudulent summary.
- CRIME BY FDA
- The FDA distributes to the public and physicians the International Food
Information Council brochure (
http://www.dorway.com/offasprt.html (or .txt) which contains false and
misleading information. It tells consumers aspartame was proven safe when it
triggers brain, pancreatic, mammary, uterine, ovarian and testicular tumors,
atrophied testes and grand mal seizures. See Dr. Gross' letters on web. See
FDA's own audit, the Bressler Report.
- The FDA's own list of 10,000 consumer complaints list 92 symptoms
triggered by aspartame including 4 types of seizures, coma and death.
Aspartame is 50% phenylalanine which invades the brain, lowers the seizure
threshold and depletes serotonin. Lowered serotonin can trigger manic
depression, suicidal tendencies, rage, panic attacks, anxiety, mood swings,
etc. Surgeon General Satcher says 22% of the population suffer from mental
problems. American toddlers are taking Prozac and Ritalin.
- CRIME BY MONSANTO
- Monsanto (bought Searle in l985) recently sold NutraSweet. Monsanto
propaganda and funding of trade organizations to spread misleading
information violated Title 18. Doctors are unable to diagnose patients
because they don't know aspartame is addictive, interacts with other drugs
and changes brain chemistry triggering deadly symptoms and fatal diseases.
Aspartame hardens the synovial fluids producing agonizing joint pain.
Patients are misdiagnosed as having fibromyalgia (a diagnostic catch-all).
- CRIME BY ORGANIZATIONS.
- The FDA and the organizations like the American Diabetes Association,
the American Dietetics Association, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, AMA, MS
and Lupus foundations who are funded by NutraSweet and spread their
misinformation are in criminal violation of Title 18.
- Dr. H. J. Roberts' paper on aspartame addiction shows Monsanto and the
FDA have made drug addicts of 100 million consumers in this country alone.
Methanol is classified as a narcotic in Louis R. J. Sax's Dangerous
Properties of Industrial Materials, Eighth Edition, New York, Van Nostrand
Reinhold (1992) pp. 2251-2252. And aspartame which also triggers birth
defects is even in children's products like Pedialyte and medication.
- James Bowen, M.D., (
http://www.dorway.com/drbowen.txt ) declared to FDA: "This has resulted
in the mass poisoning of the American public as well as seventy-plus
countries in the rest of the world. ....the only responsible action would be
to immediately take aspartame off the market, fully disclose its toxicities,
offer full compensation to the injured public, and criminally prosecute
anyone who participated in the fraudulent placement of aspartame on the
- 1. Aspartame was added illegally to carbonated beverages.
- 2. Since it breaks down in beverages blanket approval granted in
l996 should be repealed.
- 3. Since aspartame approval broke the criminal code, a major
investigation should be initiated. Even Dr. Michael Friedman of the
FDA, to whom we sent case histories was hired by Monsanto in June. Perhaps
they should simply call FDA, Monsanto's Washington Branch office.
- 4. An injunction should be immediately issued to suspend the sale
of the NutraSweet Company to prevent transfer of liability.
- Mrs. Reno, is there a crime more gigantic than genocide? If you allow
Monsanto, the FDA, CDC, Coke, Pepsi and organizations to operate outside the
law and intentionally mislead the public why not open the prisons to allow
ordinary criminals freedom?
- I am asking this open letter be spread the world over and published, and
copies be sent to every Attorney General in the United States. Also, I'm
asking for those knowledgeable of the many studies I've been told were never
published on aspartame that caused disability and death, to come forward.
These informants should write me at 5950 H State Bridge Road, PMB 215,
Duluth, Georgia 30097, and case histories should be sent to this address.
- Betty Martini, Mission Possible International 770 242-2599
(reports mentioned in post are on web - for map send empty email to